Mom, I'm Almost Six Years Old!

What a joy it is to have a five year old daughter to shop for, for Christmas. I was so thrilled to purchase BARBIE stuff for Charlee. I mean, not only stuff, but lots of BARBIE STUFF! I thought for sure she would be so excited to rip open the pink Barbie boxes and let her imagination run wild.

My hopes and dreams of having a house filled with Barbie stuff came crashing down on me Christmas morning. The conversation went a little something like this:

Me: "Charlee, are you so excited to play with all your Barbie stuff?"

Charlee: "Well, Cooper got lots of cool stuff. I just got Barbie stuff.....sigh."

Me: "Barbie stuff is cool!"

Charlee: "Not really, I like what Cooper got."

WOW! (Keep reading...it gets better!) I just kind of shrugged it off and thought over the next few hours, the Barbie stuff would sink in and it would be AWESOME! After a few days, I asked Charlee once again:

Me: "Charlee, do you like your Barbies?" (They are still all in the boxes.)

Charlee: "Not really mom. I pretty much don't play with Barbies. Maybe we should give them away to Scoti."

Me: "Charlee, if you don't like them it's okay. Just tell me and we can take them back and get you something you will like. I promise I won't be mad." (Inside I am heartbroken. What FIVE year old doesn't like Barbie?)

Charlee: "Well mom, I am almost SIX YEARS OLD. I am getting to old to play with Barbies."

Me: Absolutely in shock "What do you want instead?"

Charlee: "A Salon!"

Oh dear, what do I do with that? Because if I remember correctly, I played with Barbies until I was in SIXTH grade.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

hahaha love it!! So sad for you though :( I played with Barbies until I was in sixth grade too...although we were swarn to secrecy because it would be "embarrasing" if anyone found out :)