St. George Marathon 2011

 Where do I begin?
Last year I ran the St. George Marathon.  I was so happy I did, but I vowed I would NEVER do it again.  The memories were all to vivid... waking up at 4 a.m. to go on the long runs, short runs throughout the week, pushing Griffin in the jogging stroller, thigh muscles so big my pants wouldn't fit anymore, the late night hunger, the actual day of the marathon, the pain and suffering, the enduring to the end...OH, it was a tough day.

All in all, I was so happy I did it.  I had such a sense of accomplishment.  Running the marathon was hard for me.  I am not a born runner, I am not even 5 feet tall.  I have to take three times as many steps as an average size person.  So to say the least, I am short and stubby.  I had to work hard to get in the miles so it truly was a HUGE accomplishment for me.

Last May I started training for the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon.  13.1 miles are so much better than 26.2.  I tried to convince myself that a Half Marathon is such as big of a deal as a full.  I trained and ran my guts out.  I ended up getting a great time at the half - 2 hours 2 minutes!  And, the best part?  I felt good at the end!

So, I did what any normal person would do.  I decided that I would do the St. George Marathon AGAIN!  Because really, who's kidding who?  A full marathon is so much more COOL than a half!

I think I have a sick disease because really, I fell in love with running - all over again.


RACE DAY!

I woke up at 4:00 a.m. Took care of my morning running ritual.
You know, get dressed, go potty, put the contacts in, brush the teeth, socks and shoes, headband, Garmin, ipod, deodorant, potty again, make a PB&H sandwich...blah, blah, blah.

I woke up Mike and we headed off to the P.D.

It's only 5:15 a.m.  I was a little nervous when I got out of the car...it was already warm.  EEK!  I said a little prayer that the day wouldn't get to hot to fast.  The heat kills me while I'm running!  Then posed for a little pre-run photo op! 


Before I knew it, RUNNING FRIENDS arrived!

Here is LeAnn, Shay, Me and Shaunna (who just had a baby 4 months ago! Yeah, really!)

We all talked up a storm and made several comments as to WHY all the girls were running and the husbands were the ones dropping us off....?  Kinda weird?


Then, it was time.  Time to get into the van and start the journey up the mountain - to the start line.  There really isn't any turning back now.

Okay, so we are lucky.  Perks of being police wives, we were able to ride up in the patti wagon.
No waiting for buses, or standing up at the start line for hours.
Hope in the van, take our time riding up the mountain and then only having to wait around for about 15 minutes before the race starts.  Yeah, I felt kind special for a minute.



Once we got to the start line we met up with other friends from our running group.  Isn't it cute?  We all had matching shirts!

Tom, Jacqui, Me & Shay.

Getting WAY to excited to start this race...notice the line up of port-o-potties?  Yeah, we chose the best backdrop possible!

I'm not going to give a mile by mile recap - that's long and boring.

Because in all reality - no one cares about what happened while you were running.  They all just want to know if and when you finished.  Right?  It's okay to admit it.  It won't hurt my feelings.


Shay Shay running her guts out - I seriously DO NOT know how she had the ability to sprint at the finish.  But look at her GO!  And with her little Davey (bike cop husband) riding along beside her!


Okay, I do have to say THIS - Dave you are pretty awesome!  Those last few miles were HELL.  Knowing I would see you every few minutes to encourage me, have a familiar face telling me "YOU GOT THIS" was the best.


Here I come...towards the finish line.  I was searching for my family...but never could find them.

They were there, right by the finish line - taking the pictures.  But I must have been so delusional, because I never saw them, heard them...NOTHING.



I did it.  Again. 5 hours 15 minutes.  I didn't make my goal time...Argh.  I can't beat myself up to much because I beat my time from last year by 20 minutes.


After I crossed the finish line, I got my super cool finisher medal.  I was a little scattered because I was thinking "Really?  They didn't make it here on time? Where is my family?!"  Because honestly, it wasn't like I finished in record time.  I gave them PLENTY of time to get there.  "WHERE THE FREAK IS MY FAMILY?"  Then, I found them!  Best sight ever.  I seriously almost cried.


Shay, Shannon, Debbie and Me at the finish line!


Afterwards, I went into the runners area...scored myself a Popsicle and sat down.  Which was a bad idea.  I realized how tired I was and knew if I stayed sitting down, it was going to be impossible to get myself back up.  I got up and began the search through the sea of people to find the family.


There they all were to greet me!  I really couldn't have made it through all the training if I didn't have their support and encouragement.  Love them ALL for everything.


Me and Shay.

I love my little Shay Shay!


26.2
Because I Can



A week after the marathon, a friend posted this video on facebook.  With the St. George Marathon still so fresh in my mind, this video had a huge impact on me.

I was able to relate to this message and want to share it with you.

26.2 - Because I Can

I wouldn't have signed up if I knew I couldn't finish.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

CONGRATS Julie, you are awesome! I am in awe of how you can seriously run that far and still look that good!! :) Love ya girl!