St. George Marathon 2010

My Once In A Lifetime Experience!

Me and Shaunna, bright and early in the morning.  Actually, it wasn't bright at all, it was dark.  It was 4:30 a.m., but we look all bright and cheery! 


I had to put this blurry picture on because I am on my tip toes so Shaunna doesn't feel SO TALL next to me!!  And, because Shaunna is announcing something on her shirt...

"BABY THOMPSON"
Yes, Shaunna is 2 months pregnant and running a FREAKIN' marathon!  She is amazing!


I have the sweetest kiddos.  They were so excited to watch me finish!  And, I have to say they must have demonstrated some patience waiting for their mama to finally make it across the finish line.


I was so happy to see them as I came down the home stretch.  I had to keep grinning because I was going to have an emotional break down.  This race was one of the most physically demanding things I have ever had to endure.  There was a sign someone posted along the course that said: "Running is all mental...And we are all INSANE!"  Well, running this far for the first time, I thought I was insane.  Many times I had to push aside the "I can't do this" attitude and tell myself "You can finish this and you will!"  So, seeing my family at the finish line I had to smile and push back the tears because I was so HAPPY to see the end so close!


I grabbed my little Griffin man and made my way to the finish line!  He looked so stinkin' confused, I couldn't help but laugh at him.  I don't think he had any idea what was going on!


I really couldn't have done this without the excitement of Cooper and Charlee.  Each day, they would ask me "How far you running today Mom?"  And every time I came back from a run they always asked, "How far did you go?  What was your time?"  How cute are they?  And then Mike!  What a great husband I have!  He would come home from working a really late shift, I would leave to do long runs when he went to bed, the kids were up shortly after and he never complained about me going.  He would always encourage me to push myself and train hard.  He always told me I could do it and I decided he was right!  I sent Mike a text around mile 24 telling him I was coming and his reply was "You got this.....DOOOOOO IIIIIIIT!!!  I couldn't have done it without my cute little family.

Also, I don't think you can read Griffins white trash wife beater, but it says "My mom RUNS like a MOTHER!"

Shaunna, Brody, Scott, Mom, Charlee, Me, Griffin, Cooper, Mike, Tammie, Jackson, and Scotlyn.

I had to get a picture of the whole family!  Each one of them were there to support both Shaunna and me!  What a wonderful family I have!


I was so excited to see my amazing friend Tara at the end!  Now, Tara is a REAL, true friend because not very many friends would give me a big hug like this after running in the heat for 5 hours, I know I stink!  Tara, you are the SWEETEST, GREATEST friend anyone could ask for!


I set a goal of 4:30 to finish the race.  About three weeks ago I had to change my goal because I had some hip problems.  Those darn hips... I changed my time to 5 hours, but I didn't make it.  I finished at 5:33.  I am sad and disappointed I didn't finish by my goal time, but I am grateful I finished!  I am grateful my body survived and endured to the finish line!

Thank you to everyone for your support and encouragement!  You have NO idea how much it helped me!  Also, Shaunna, THANK YOU!  You kept me going when I didn't want to anymore.  You told me we could do this and it would be so much fun and so worth it at the end.  I am so grateful to have you for my running partner!  We made some fun memories running down that freaking canyon in the wee hours of the morning!  Especially the morning with the coyotes!

Now.... I'M DONE!

Until next time.....?  I dunno, we shall see!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did amazing! You also look great at the finish line!! So cute that you took Griffen across the finish line!

Brooke said...

Julie, you are truly my hero. I so wish I was a runner so I could do something like this. I'm so proud to call you my friend! Way to kick some butt!

Don said...

Spectacular accomplishment. I can't imagine the self discipline it takes. 5 hrs 30 minutes or 10:30; it doesn't matter. Doing the most with our talents is all that's asked of us. What a wonderful family experience. Your kids and husband have a wonderful example in you. Loved seeing the picture of your "extended" family (siblings and mom). I take it your dad was behind that lens. Tell everyone hi.
-Don

anne said...

YAY for you! I couldn't believe all those crazy people out there running. YOU DID IT!!! CONGRATS!

Whitney said...

Seriously, what an accomplishment! I will probably never know how that feels :) You are my hero!!

thatredhead said...

ive been dying to read about your marathon experience...finally got around to it tonight. You are AMAZING! Congratulations! And how do you look so good after 5 hours of running......seriously. You were made for it girlie!